Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Crabby Patties and One Night Stands

O.K. guys this thing is gonna be fast and furious, much like life after school starts. Joel wants me to start this off by explaining that last week's blog was written but never posted. I really feel bad about this as it's sitting on my computer desktop, a waste of Joel's time. He wanted to make sure you all knew his intentions for the delicious butter that we all know and love which normally comes with the veggies (patterned after the ever famous "love veggies" from The Magnolia Cafe). He knew that it would be inappropriate to call it the Love Butter (a blatant ripoff) and he also knew that the butter is also a bit naughty as we are always trying to be good and stay away from fattening and dairy type products. So, in response to those thoughts, he called it the "one-night-stand butter". Something you want to spend a fun evening with, but not stay with permanently. It's a good thing that butter and I have nothing in common.
You are all probably wondering "what the hell is Spongebob doing on this blog?". Upon Jake's request, Joel created a new hamburger that we officially call the "Crabby Patty". I have to say that something magical is going on with these burgers. He's got a steak rub that has officially nudged Dirty's into 2nd place on the list. I'm now living with the best hamburger maker in Austin, hell yeah! We crave "crabby patties" on a weekly basis and I'm sure that Ft. Worth will be exposed to these miracles this weekend.
We had a few other cooking experiences over the last few weeks. I had the opportunity to bake in the new kitchen for the first time and what a difference it made having prep tables and a nice big oven. I made what has officially been called "my best cookies ever", a double-chip chocolate-chip cookie cooked to all sorts of perfection and a couple of loaves of bread that were tasty but a little thick, the dough never did rise appropriately. I am thinking that a sourdough starter is in my future and I'm thinking all you bakers will not only get a bit of it, you will also be expected to drop by and feed that baby when I'm out of town.
O.K. guys, enough of my blathering, let's get down to the menu, and hopefully Joel will give you some insight into his offerings some bright and early morning this week. I'll encourage him to pop out some descriptions. I'm so sorry, I know he's better at all this tasty, yummy, fun description of foods.

SOUP
We have a repeat of the Spinach Soup, but he's still wavering on the creme fraiche, I'm working on him. He's also got a Cauliflower Soup with Gouda and on the tail end, a Creamy Crimini Mushroom soup. That Creamy Crimini is really calling my name, I'm sure it will be yelling it as it walks out the door in Sonja's bag......poor me, I never get to eat the food.

SNAX
He's making a favorite of mine, Roasted Cauliflower and Sweet Peppers with coriander and cumin. This recipe if from the Modern Vegetarian and I think it's one of the best ways to serve cauliflower. Anybody have any favorite recipes for cauliflower, please share. There's also Balsamic Roasted Eggplant with basil, mint and feta and Israeli Couscous with sundried tomatoes, basil, green onion and feta. The next two are repeats of some really delicious items. The Red Quinoi with corn, tomato, cilantro and lime is not only delicious and refreshing, it's also super healthy. The "Best Beans" are pinto beans seasoned with jalapenos, corn, roasted peppers and tomatoes. I just asked Joel if he was adding chorizo to the "Best Beans" as it's listed on the menu AND his response was..... "it was too expensive at Central Market, HEB was reasonable but there was way too much lips and anus (ick) and Costco didn't carry it". Geez. I don't think I'll be eating chorizo anytime soon (and that had just become my favorite taco). The "Best Beans" are officially vegetarian.

SNAX
Well, what can I say, let's just think about this one. What are some of the yummiest things in the world that I never get to eat because we sell out every time? There's the Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad, which we are gonna keep selling this until there is some left over. There is the ever famous, all-time favorite of mine, Mom's Insulted Tuna Salad and not to be undersold, the addicting Chipotle Shrimp and Corn Salad. If you haven't had the shrimp dip, get here early. Joel is mixing it up with some Baba Ghanouj this week. Yummy.

SPICES
Yes, you read that right, not dressings, spices. Joel has decided to flirt up all those husbands out there with a little gift he has, the amazing ability to mix all kinds of interesting things together to make the best damn rubs evah! He's got a Chile Rub, a Tejas Rub, a Sweet Pork and Chicken Rub and the famous Cowboy Steak Rub. He's got something called "Da Rub" which I think might be linked to the Crabby Patties, not sure. He's saying he's not sure if the rubs will happen, so if you are of the prayin' type, get down on those knees and hallelujah, start prayin' for the rubs.

Alright guys, sorry you got a post from me, but what the heck, Joel's busy. I've got to go meet the teacher, so I'm off and I can't wait to see all ya'll on Thursday. Now that school has started back we are cutting the VCSC lounge time back a bit, homework and early bedtimes prevail. Maybe we will have a little VCSC weekend bbq. Soon, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. I heart you guys so hard. You make me laugh, and you feed me. What more can a girl ask?

    ReplyDelete