Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Good News/Bad News


There is some good news and some bad news this week. The good news is that the third Tacodeli is one month ahead of schedule and could open by the beginning part of May. The bad news is that the VCSC will have to take a break for a bit because my job is intense right now. I am very excited about the new location because we are finally in central Austin. It is located at 4200 North Lamar, across the street from the state school and Central Market, just north of the Ferrari dealership. Hopefully we will see you there. And now for the food.

SNAX
The Sundried Tomato Spread is a new one and it came out great. Based on the Sundried Tomato Feta Dip, this has no gluten or dairy. It is great used as a dip with some crackers or as a spread on a sandwich or quesadilla. Joanna has requested a return of the Tuna Salad and will actually be making it this week. She is the executive taster, so I have no doubts that it will taste great. We had some yummy Guacamole on Sunday with achiote marinated pork chops and it provided some inspiration for the third snack. We will be making this fresh on Thursday so imagine yourself in a restaurant in Mexico with tableside preparation, salty margarita in your hand. I'm there!

SOUPS
The Spring weather has been so unpredictable lately. Daily temperature swings have been extreme. This is reflected in the soups selections. The Pozole (a pork and hominy stew) and the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger are great for cold days. The Gazpacho is more apt for the warm ones. The Pozole is something I made on the fly two years ago for the kitchen and the results were amazing. It is always such a compliment when the Mexicans in the kitchen like something I cook. They are brutally honest, especially when I tackle something authentic. I simmered natural pork shoulder from sprouts in a tomato and red chile spiked pork broth. It was good, but when I added the hominy it went great. I would suggest garnishing this with some chopped cilantro and radish. The Butternut Squash Soup was a challenge because I was determined to keep it vegan and gluten free. Normally, I use half and half for some wonderful richness. Instead, I subbed in roasted garlic and ginger. It’s pretty darn delicious and healthy too.

SIDES
Joanna read an article about a Grilled Vegetable Salad and wanted a similar item on the menu. I am going to marinate zucchini, yellow squash, red bells, and onions in olive oil and garlic and get the grill going. The veg will be accompanied by oven dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and a light sherry vinaigrette.
The French Lentils with butternut squash and scallions is a new one. It has a small hint of red curry and came out tasting wonderful. The Israeli Cous Cous with Sundried Tomato, Calamata Olives, and Feta has not been made yet, but is one of our favorite dishes and whatever is leftover, I’m pretty sure Joanna will hoard and eat all weekend.

SALADS
The Salad this week is a Classic Caesar Salad with hand shaved parmesan and garlicky croutons. It may be basic, but I love it. So does Jo, who again was reading an article and requested the Ceasar. I always found it interesting that the birthplace was Tijuana, Mexico. If I am not mistaken, Caesar Cardini’s restaurant was a speakeasy just south of the border frequented by famous movie stars looking to get away.

Hope you like the food and well see you Thursday.

Joanna’s Note:
Guys, don’t forget that Rachel with Mingle Jewelry will be joining us as well as Luscious. I love having an additional seller at the VCSC, especially since this one is before a hiatus. I know you guys wonder if we will ever be consistent, but I hope you all understand this is something fun we do and can’t always commit to regularity. I’ll miss the delicious food, but look forward to building my yoga business. You can keep track of my thriving new venture on my blog, yogadenada.blogspot.com (which I’ll be posting on very soon). Or fan Yogadenada on facebook. My favorites this week are the Pozole (out—of—this—world), the Sundried Tomato Dip and always the Tuna. I know I’m going to love the Caesar Salad (the dressing is amazing). Looking forward to seeing every one. Have a great week!



2 comments:

  1. As Guy Fieri would say, the sun-dried tomato dip is OFF THE HOOK! I had to force myself to stop eating it before it was all gone. I'm planning to serve it to friends at a baby shower I'm having on Sunday. Can't wait to hear the oohs and aahhhs over it. I'll pretend I made it. (Kidding! I will totally give the VCSC some love, and hand out the blog address.)

    I inhaled the Caesar salad as soon as I set foot in my house last night. Hoovered it! So yummy and fresh.

    Keep up the great work, Frieds. You are all kinds of awesome.

    Good luck, Joel, with the new Taco Deli store. I am stoked about the location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: I served the sundried tomato dip at a party this weekend, with a plate of veggies for dipping. It was HUGE hit. Everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete